Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Positive Outlook

Today it began to snow. Usually I prefer to stay indoors when it is cold but, I could not focus while in my apartment. So, I decided to go to the library. As I was walking up to campus to do home homework and study, I had a thought come to mind. Due to some events that have happened recently, I was not in the happiest of moods. I then replayed a moment in my mind of some friends talking about how I was always in a good mood when it was bad weather. That made me laugh and I realized I began to smile again.

How we react to our circumstances has much to do with our attitude. If we focus on the negative, or things we cannot change, we are doomed to remain in a state of sorrow. If we, however, focus on a positive, we can change our views and see the world as a wonderful place.

For example: Last night, someone hit a car which then cracked my bumper. I did not think to get the person's insurance in case there was more damage and, when I made that realization, I felt like an idiot. I also was confused by some different circumstances with friends. When I awoke this morning, none of these things had changed and I had more to do: 3 more midterms to prepare for, take care of my car, and, to top it off, we ran out of toilet paper. That one thought of being positive in bad weather made me realize something I learned my sophomore year of college- when you can't change something, focus on changing what you can- your attitude. I had been walking home in the slush and snow and just because the sound reminded me of "Singing in the Rain," my whole view changed and the walk home became a joy. That's why I am happy through bad weather. I remember that moment and how it changed my whole day and outlook.

So, life may not be going as well as we want. That's normal. Find something you can change or view in a different light and I know it will make everything so much better so that you can view the hardships with a better view to try and find a solution.

With that being said, I better get back to writing my paper that is due tomorrow... Luckily, I have two more hours until class and I am already in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment